Local MP Chris Skidmore recently joined residents in congratulating South Glos Parents and Carers on winning a national award for Excellence in Parent Participation at an award ceremony on Monday 8th July.
South Glos Parents and Carers, a supportive community for parents and carers within South Gloucestershire, work to improve services and support for local children, young people with additional needs and their families.
The group were presented with the award at a ceremony organised by Contact, the national charity supporting children with disabilities and their families. The event was held at the Members’ Dining Room at the Palace of Westminster and was hosted by BBC Radio 4’s Jane Garvey.
At the event local MP for Kingswood met members of the South Glos. Parents and Carers group and congratulated them on the work they do locally to champion partnership work and co-production with the local council to improve services for local families with disabled children.
Chris Skidmore said: “It has been an extremely moving and exciting afternoon and I want to applaud South Glos Parent Carers and all parents and families at Contact’s “Together at 40” awards ceremony. This award win reflects all the excellent work they do to support children and young people in our local area and it was fantastic to be a part of the event and meet everyone.”
Amanda Batten, CEO at Contact said: “It’s wonderful to be able to celebrate all the positives that come along with being a family with children with additional needs this afternoon.”
“At Contact we are all about families and, because of the nature of the services we offer, we naturally hear a lot about when things go wrong for families – struggling to get the right services and support for their child, public attitudes to disability or pressure on relationships for instance. We established our unique awards to recognise when things go right too. We were overwhelmed by the 500 nominations we received, and the inspiring stories families told us. Well done to all our finalists - they are all champions in our eyes!”
Contact’s ceremony was attended by over 100 MPs and families, with Government Minister for Children and Families, Nadhim Zahawi MP, also joining the event.
The Excellence in Parent Carer Participation won by South Glos Parents & Carers was one of 7 categories in Contact’s awards:
- Parent Carer Award to recognise the amazing things parent carers do to ensure their disabled children can take part in everyday life.
- Proudest Moment Award recognising the challenges disabled children have overcome that fill their parent carers with pride and make them smile.
- Sibling Award celebrating the often unseen but great things siblings do for their disabled brothers and sisters.
- Grandparent Award focusing on all the wonderful, everyday things grandparents do.
- Parent Power Award for individual parents or local parent groups who have campaigned to make life better for families with disabled children.
- We Care about Rare An opportunity to celebrate the 3.5 million people
- with a rare condition, 75% of who are children, and how they champion being rare.
- Excellence in Parent Carer Participation recognising volunteer parent carers who have gone the extra mile to improve local disability services